2 lbs. dressed smelt
2 cups sliced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup melted fat or oil
1 can (1 lb., 12 oz.) Italian tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 ½ tsp. oregano
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ cup chopped parsley
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1. Cook onion and garlic in melted fat or oil until onion is tender.
2. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar and pepper; mix well.
3. Cover and cook slowly, about 30 minutes, until slightly thickened and flavors blend; stir often during cooking.
4. Stir in parsley. Spread sauce over bottom of 2 or 3 quart, shallow, rectangular baking dish.
5. Arrange smelt on sauce in a single layer down the center of baking dish.
6. Sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and cheeses.
7. Bake in hot oven, 400 degrees F, 15 to 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serves 6.