5 Small onions, thinly sliced
2 cans (14.5oz ea) beef broth
2 cans (10oz ea) beef consommé
1 packet onion soup mix
8 slices French bread, about 1” thick
8 slices Provolone cheese
1. Combine onions, broth, consommé, and soup mix in a slow cooker. Cook on High setting for 4 hours or Low setting for 8 hours.
2. Ladle soup into serving bowls.
3. Top each bowl with a slice of French bread.
4. Place one slice of cheese over each bread slice.
5. Put soup bowls under a broiler until the cheese is melted.
6. Alternatively, place the bread on a baking sheet and top with cheese.
7. Broil until the cheese has melted, about 30 to 40 seconds, and set on top of the bowls just before serving.