For the base:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
8 cups low sodium beef broth
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
4 to 5 cups cubed crusty bread (I use a multi-grain loaf)
** You want the onions to be a caramel color. Toward the end of the cooking time, keep a closer eye on the onions (you don’t want to let them burn and may need to stir them more often).
9. Discard the paper towels.
10. Turn down the crock pot to low.
11. Add in the broth, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper.
12. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
13. Discard the bay leaf and then taste and adjust with additional salt/pepper if needed.
14. Preheat your broiler.
15. Place oven-safe bowls or crocks on a baking sheet.
16. Spoon the soup into the bowls.
17. Place a handful of bread cubes in each bowl and then sprinkle the top with some of the cheese.
18. Broil for about 2 to 4 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbly.