Smelt (whole or headed and gutted)
Baking dish or baking pan
Cooking spray or olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil. Arrange the smelts in a single layer in the baking dish and season to taste.
3. Season lightly with salt and pepper or fresh herbs like chives, rosemary and parsley. Top with breadcrumbs or crushed croutons if you’d like to add a bit of crunch to the dish.
4. Bake the smelts for approximately 12 minutes or until the fish are firm to the touch.
5. Remove the smelts from the oven and serve.
6. Create a sauce from the leftover baking liquid or serve with herbed mayonnaise, if desired.