4 pounds raw sweet potatoes, diced into large chunks and boiled
2 large eggs
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 cup pecan halves
1. To a large stockpot, add the sweet potato chunks, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
2. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 2.5 to 3-quart baking dish or a 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
4. To the large bowl with the sweet potatoes, add the eggs, butter, milk, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, salt, optional nutmeg, optional cinnamon, and beat with a handheld electric mixer on medium-high speed until combined and fluffy. Turn out into baking dish, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula; set aside.
1. To a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and heat on high power to melt, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar, flour, salt, and toss with a fork or your fingers until moist crumbs form. Add the pecans and toss to incorporate.
2. Evenly turn topping out over filling and bake for about 45 minutes, or until top is lightly golden browned, set on the edges, and mostly set in the center.
3. Serve immediately.
4. Extra will keep airtight for up to 1 week in the fridge.