1 lb Smelt
1 egg yolk
1 cup ice cold sparkling water
1/8 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 cup rice flour (you can use all-purpose wheat flour, too)
2. Salt the pieces of fish well on both sides.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the ice cold water — it must be ice cold or this will not work — and the egg yolk.
5. When the oil is hot — and not before — add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk them together until just combined. Do not over mix.
6. Dip the fish pieces in the batter and into the oil. Shake off a little before you put them into the oil, but remember this batter is thin and runny. Do not overcrowd the pot.
7. Fry in batches, at about 2-3 minutes per batch. Drain on a rack set over a paper towel to catch the oil that drips off.